Mahashweta Devi roots for Pranab as next Prez
Kolkata: Noted writer and social activist Mahashweta Devi, who had been a strong supporter of Trinamool chief Mamata Banerjee before their relations strained, on Thursday said she would be happy to see Pranab Mukherjee as the next President of the country.
"I will be happy if Pranab Mukherjee becomes the next President and I think that the country can repose confidence in him," the Magsaysay award winner told PTI.
Asked to comment on the Trinamool Congress chief`s rejection of Mukherjee as the UPA presidential nominee, the 86-year-old writer said, "I don`t want to comment. Everybody has the right to give his or her opinion."
She said, "Pranab Mukherjee is known to me for many years. He is very alert and I want to see him as the next President."
Devi had called the Mamata Banerjee government "fascist" when a human rights group was denied permission to hold a rally in the metropolis some time ago.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets