Mahashweta Devi roots for Pranab as next Prez
Kolkata: Noted writer and social activist Mahashweta Devi, who had been a strong supporter of Trinamool chief Mamata Banerjee before their relations strained, on Thursday said she would be happy to see Pranab Mukherjee as the next President of the country.
"I will be happy if Pranab Mukherjee becomes the next President and I think that the country can repose confidence in him," the Magsaysay award winner told PTI.
Asked to comment on the Trinamool Congress chief`s rejection of Mukherjee as the UPA presidential nominee, the 86-year-old writer said, "I don`t want to comment. Everybody has the right to give his or her opinion."
She said, "Pranab Mukherjee is known to me for many years. He is very alert and I want to see him as the next President."
Devi had called the Mamata Banerjee government "fascist" when a human rights group was denied permission to hold a rally in the metropolis some time ago.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29