Mahatma Gandhi`s `Father of the Nation` title unconstitutional: MHA
New Delhi: Mahatma Gandhi cannot be accorded the `Father of the Nation` title by government as the Constitution does not permit any titles except educational and military ones, the Home Ministry has said.
In an RTI response to Lucknow-based student Aishwarya Parashar, the Home Ministry has told her that no action was taken on her plea to the President to declare Mahatma Gandhi as `Father of the Nation` because Article 18 (1) of the Constitution does not permit any titles except education and military ones.
Aishwarya had filed number of RTI petitions seeking details about Gandhi and the reasons of referring him as Father of the Nation. In response, she was told that no such title has been accorded to Gandhi.
Driven by a patriot zeal, Class VI student Aishwarya wrote to the then President Pratibha Patil and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to issue a notification declaring Mahatma Gandhi as `Father of the Nation`.
Aishwarya had filed an RTI petition seeking to know the action taken on her plea by the President and the Prime Minister.
The application was transferred to the Home Ministry with instructions to explain the action taken on her plea. In its response, the Home Ministry told Aishwarya the above mentioned reason why the title of `Father of the Nation` cannot be accorded to Gandhi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa