Mahatma Gandhi`s statue vandalised in Sri Lanka
Colombo: The Sri Lankan government has ordered an investigation into an incident in which several statues, including that of Mahatma Gandhi, were vandalised.
"It has been brought to the notice of the ministry that several important statues in the Batticaloa town (in eastern Sri Lanka) had been vandalised," a news agency quoted the Sri Lankan foreign ministry as saying in a statement Saturday.
"The Inspector General of Police has been instructed to carry out an immediate and thorough investigation into these incidents to identify motives and culprits behind these acts of vandalism," it added.
According to police, the attackers broke off the heads of the statues of Gandhi and Britain`s Robert Baden-Powell, the founder of the Scout movement.
Two other statues of local figures were also vandalised Thursday in what appeared to be a coordinated crime, police said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Ram Mandir in Ayodhya will be built soon, says Thawar Chand Gehlot
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan