Mahavira`s teachings hold solution to violence: Pranab Mukherjee
New Delhi: Solutions to contemporary problems like violence, religious intolerance and economic exploitation of poor could be found in the teachings of Lord Mahavira, President Pranab Mukherjee said here on Monday.
Inaugurating a seminar here, the President said that at a time when the world is faced with multiple challenges and we are seeking ways and means to overcome them, the philosophy and teachings enunciated by Bhagwan Mahavira hold great significance.
He said that the teachings of Bhagwan Mahavira are still very apt and relevant and this is a time to bring his message and teachings to the forefront of our approach in dealing with today`s problems, a press release issued by Rashtrapati Bhavan said.
The President said that the universal truth of Bhagwan Mahavira`s philosophy and teaching make them equally applicable to the modern world.
He said that the answers to contemporary problems like erosion of environment and natural resources, violence through war and terrorism, religious intolerance, and economic exploitation of poor could be found in Bhagwan Mahavira`s teachings, it said.
The President, speaking on the seminar on `Solution of Global Challenges through Mahavira Philosophy` organised by Ahimsa Vishwa Bharati, said the deterioration of environment and depletion of natural resources has engaged the attention of the world today and Bhagwan Mahavira`s doctrines of Shatjivanikay and Ahimsa are a meaningful approach to address this growing crisis.
He said that Bhagwan Mahavira`s teachings are in consonance with the need to mitigate economic disparity.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal