Mahindra wants to do something for Bhopal victims
Bhopal: Former Union Carbide India chairman
Keshub Mahindra and four others convicted on June 7 in the
Bhopal Gas leak case were Tuesday granted bail by a court here.
UCIL former Managing Director Vijay Gokhle, former Vice
President Kishore Kamdar, former Works Manager J Mukund and
former Production Manager S P Choudhry were others granted
bail by Chief Judicial Magistrate R V Singh.
Former Plant Superintendent K V Shetty and former
Operator S I Qureshi, who were also convicted, did not get
bail today as they were not present in the court.
The convicts had filed an appeal in the Sessions Court
against the June 7 verdict which had directed them to seek
bail from Chief Judicial Magistrate.
They were sentenced under section 304 A, 336, 337 and 338
read with section 35 of the IPC under which each was awarded
two years imprisonment and a fine of over Rs 1 lakh under
different sections was imposed on them by CJM Mohan P Tiwari.
Meanwhile, talking to reporters outside the court,
Mahindra said he wanted to do some work for the gas victims.
"I have been saying for last 20 years that it is my
desire to do something concrete for the gas victims."
Mahindra said he did not accept the charges framed
against him in the 1984 Bhopal gas leak case.
He said he had resigned from the membership of a business
committee set up by the Prime Minister as he did not consider
it proper to continue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai