Maid drops sex charges against Indian diplomat
New York: A former domestic help who accused
Indian Consul General in New York Prabhu Dayal of making
sexual advances, has now dropped the "sexual harassment"
charges in an `amended complaint` filed in a US court here.
Santosh Bhardwaj, 45, had filed a forced labour-suit
against Dayal on June 20 this year accusing him of treating
her as a slave and making sexual advances.
In her complaint, Bhardwaj had alleged in an eight-
paragraph section titled `Sexual Harassment and Escape`
that Dayal had asked her to "give him a massage for pain in
his legs" if she wanted money to send to India for her
"Bhardwaj interpreted Dayal`s statement as a request for
sexual contact of some form... she was scared by his request,"
the initial complaint had said.
However, now a "First Amended Complaint" has been filed
on behalf of Bhardwaj by her lawyers on August 12 in the
United States District Court, Southern District of New York.
In this amended complaint, the entire `Sexual Harassment
and Escape` section has been removed. Further, there is no
mention of any sexual harassment elsewhere in the amended
A line in the initial complaint that had said "....
culminating in an incident of sexual harassment" has also been
dropped in the new amended complaint. The amended complaint
also drops the charges that Bhardwaj had to sleep in a small
storage room in the Dayal residence in the city.
The June 20 labour-suit against Dayal had alleged that
while Bhardwaj worked for him and his family, "she had to
sleep on a mattress on the floor in a small storage room,
which was just big enough for the mattress and a small chest
for her clothes."
The complaint had further said that Bhardwaj was not
allowed to sleep in any of the three vacant guest rooms in the
Dayal residence. The amended complaint drops this information
as well and states that Bhardwaj lived in a room in Dayal`s
New York home.
Another line in the initial complaint that Bhardwaj was
"forced to work even when she did not feel well" and that the
Dayals "did not allow Bhardwaj to call her family in India
from their house telephone" has also been removed in the
Further, the line that read Bhardwaj "suffered severe
emotional distress as a result of defendants` coercion and
exploitation and defendant Prabhu Dayal`s sexual advance" now
reads "Bhardwaj suffered severe emotional distress as a result
of defendants` conduct" in the August 12 complaint.
Apart from Legal Aid Society, another law firm Outten and
Golden is now representing Bhardwaj.
In the amended complaint, Bhardwaj has filed new charges
of "retaliation," alleging that the Dayals "retaliated"
against her for filing the suit.
It said the Dayals tried to "intimidate" her from
proceeding with the litigation by "calling for her deportation
and contacting the relevant authorities to effectuate this."
Dayal had earlier rubbished the charges levelled against
him saying they were "complete nonsense. These are mischievous
and malicious lies."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Tamil Nadu SSLC Results 2015 on tnresults.nic.in