Mainstreaming disadvantaged groups a national priority: Kumari Selja
Ambala: Union Minister Kumari Selja on Monday said the UPA government was committed to inclusive growth and a major component of it was mainstreaming the disadvantaged groups, as well as who were physically and mentally challenged.
Considering the special needs of the differently-abled, the government formed a separate Department of Disability Affairs, the Union Minister for Social Justice and Empowerment told reporters here.
Selja, who represents the Ambala constituency of Haryana in the Lok Sabha, said the focus is on physical, economic and educational rehabilitation of the differently-abled.
The minister today launched a composite programme of all schemes of her Ministry for people belonging to Schedule Castes, Backward Classes, Safai Karamcharis and for the differently-abled.
Selja said people belonging to the disadvantaged groups were availing in large numbers the benefits of various schemes of her ministry. On the occasion, the Artificial Limbs Manufacturing Corporation distributed aids and appliances.
Other events included distribution of self-employment loan and cheques, skill training offers, awareness generation of government schemes through mobile vans and flagging-off of the Badhte Kadam programme of the National Trust.
Haryana Governor Jagannath Pahadia, while praising the efforts of the ministry, said the programme would be complete only when each and every disadvantaged child is included as a beneficiary.
Pahadia said since the state resources were limited the government should involve NGOs to expand the schemes` reach and for a more effective delivery.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'