Major drop in Indian doctors coming to UK
London: A large number of Indian doctors have trained and worked in the UK over the decades, but latest figures show that their numbers have dropped sharply, reflecting tighter immigration controls and better career choices in India.
A report released by the General Medical Council (GMC) today revealed that India continued to provide the largest number of overseas doctors, but the number has reduced considerably from a peak of 3,641 in 2004 to current levels of around 500 a year.
As of 2011, there were 25,592 doctors on GMC`s register who gained medical qualifications in India.
The report, titled `The State of Medical Education and Practice in the UK`, also revealed that during 2011, the greatest number of doctors joining the medical register came from Pakistan (550), India (489), Romania (449), Italy (386) and Greece (365).
"Doctors with a primary medical qualification from India represent the largest group of overseas doctors on the register. However, the number of doctors coming from India has dropped from a peak of 3,641 in 2004 to current levels of around 500 a year", the report said.
"This may reflect changes in immigration rules in the UK, but may also be because the Indian Government is concerned that the country has a shortfall of up to 600,000 doctors. Graduates who pursue higher studies in the US now have to return to work in India for at least two years," it added.
The report also said that doctors who qualified in Pakistan represent the second largest group of doctors on the register, with 8,606 at the end of 2011, and the largest number of doctors joining the register during 2011.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'