Major hooch tragedies in India
More than 140 people were killed in a West Bengal village after consuming illicit liquor Tuesday night. Following are major hooch tragedies in India in the past few years:
December 2011 - 143 people, mostly rickshaw-pullers, labourers and hawkers, were killed in Sangrampur village in South 24 Parganas district. Over 100 victims are still in hospitals.
October 2010 - At least 12 people were killed and nearly 15 fell ill after consuming spurious country liquor in Kaalwan village in Punjab`s Hoshiarpur district.
March 2010 - At least 35 people died after consuming spurious liquor in Ghaziabad and Bulandsheher districts of Uttar Pradesh in pre- and post-Holi celebrations.
September 2010 - The toll in hooch tragedy in Kerala`s Malappuram district was 23.
February 2010 - At least 13 people died after drinking moonshine in Uttar Pradesh`s Varanasi district. taking the toll to 13.
January 2010 - 14 people died in East Godavari district of coastal Andhra Pradesh.
March 2009 - 12 people died due to hooch at Brahmpuri Colony in Sagarpur of South West Delhi.
July 2009 - Major hooch tragedy in Ahmedabad in Gujarat claimed 136 lives.
January 2009 - 27 people died in Kolkata after consuming poisonous country-made liquor at Khidirpore port area in south-west Kolkata.
September 2009 - The death toll from hooch was 29 in Uttar Pradesh.
May 2008 - The death toll in hooch tragedy in Karnataka was 180.
March 2006 - The death toll in Orissa liquor tragedy stood at 22. The deaths and illnesses were reported mainly from the five hamlets of Badahuma, Khajuria Pali, Sana Ramachandrapur, Madshurchuan and Baunsiapada in Ganjam district, about 130 km from Bhubaneswar.
October 2001 - Illicit liquor killed 18 people in Nithari village in Uttar Pradesh`s Noida.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM
- Should there be strict laws against cow slaughter? Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath seeks public opinion