‘Major security lapse in issuing visa to Rana couple’
New Delhi: An inquiry has revealed that the
Indian Consulate in Chicago was guilty of a major security
lapse while issuing visas to Tahawwur Rana, a Pakistani-
Canadian arrested by the FBI for allegedly plotting terror
strikes in India, and his wife.
The 48-year-old Pakistan-born businessman based in
Chicago was issued a multi-entry visa for a period of one-year
and his spouse Samraz Rana Akhtar was given a five-year
multiple-entry visa by the Consulate last year which enabled
them to visit Mumbai and several other places in India days
before the 26/11 terror strikes in the financial capital of
the country. The visas were issued at the discretion of Indian
An internal inquiry has shown that the residential
address provided in the visa applications by Rana couple does
not exist. Moreover, an immigration services company where
Rana claimed to have been employed told the Indian authorities
that he was never employed by them nor did they have a branch
in Mumbai as stated by him, official sources said on Sunday.
This flies in the face of the claim made by the Consulate
last week that it had done "due scrutiny" before issuing visas
to Rana and his wife.
The Consulate did not reply to e-mailed questions about the revelations that have been made in the course of
internal inquiry. External Affairs Minister S M Krishna had
publicly stated that the issuance of the visas to the Rana duo
would be inquired into.
Both the visas were issued "under the discretion of the
Consul General" and the Home Ministry had maintained that it
was in violation of rules under which its clearance is
required for any person born in Pakistan. Rana was born in
Chichawatni while his wife was born in Bahawalpur.
Both the places are in Pakistan`s Punjab province. The
two were exempted even from registering with the police if
their stay did not exceed 180 days.
Senior government officials said there was a circular of
2004 under which the visa applications of people of Pakistan,
Iran and Bangladesh origin should be referred to Union Home
Ministry for clearance. However, the circular gave discretion
to ambassadors and consuls general to give visas to such
nationals which the Consular General in Chicago had utilised,
the sources said.
Rana and his wife arrived in Mumbai on November 12 last
year after which they travelled to Kochi in Kerala on November
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'