Major Suresh Suri killed in J&K gun battle cremated
Hyderabad: The mortal remains of Major
J Suresh Suri, who was killed in a gun battle with militants
in Jammu and Kashmir, were consigned to flames at Bansilalpet
crematorium here on Friday.
Major Suri (30), a native of Hyderabad, was killed in a
fierce gunfighting with militants at Bandipora in north
Kashmir on Wednesday.
Amid slogans of `Bharat Mata Ki Jai` and `Major Suresh
Suri Amar Rahe` a huge procession with Suri`s photo on a
flower-decked Army vehicle carrying his mortal remains in a
coffin draped in tricolour was brought to Bansilalpet
The last rites were performed with full military honours
at about 11.30 am.
Earlier, Andhra Pradesh Home Minister P Sabitha Indra
Reddy and senior Army officials placed wreaths on Suri`s body
and paid tributes at his house in Vani Nagar in Malkajgiri
here this morning.
Scores of locals and Suri`s friends, relatives and family
members also bid a tearful adieu to the departed soul.
The Major`s body was flown to Delhi from Srinagar after
military honours and brought to city last night. Suri is
survived by wife S Pallavi and mother Girija.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Panel discussion on film director Ali Akbar's accusation on Madrasa
- Jhansi's ammunition factory was target of ISI agents
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory