Major Suresh Suri killed in J&K gun battle cremated
Hyderabad: The mortal remains of Major
J Suresh Suri, who was killed in a gun battle with militants
in Jammu and Kashmir, were consigned to flames at Bansilalpet
crematorium here on Friday.
Major Suri (30), a native of Hyderabad, was killed in a
fierce gunfighting with militants at Bandipora in north
Kashmir on Wednesday.
Amid slogans of `Bharat Mata Ki Jai` and `Major Suresh
Suri Amar Rahe` a huge procession with Suri`s photo on a
flower-decked Army vehicle carrying his mortal remains in a
coffin draped in tricolour was brought to Bansilalpet
The last rites were performed with full military honours
at about 11.30 am.
Earlier, Andhra Pradesh Home Minister P Sabitha Indra
Reddy and senior Army officials placed wreaths on Suri`s body
and paid tributes at his house in Vani Nagar in Malkajgiri
here this morning.
Scores of locals and Suri`s friends, relatives and family
members also bid a tearful adieu to the departed soul.
The Major`s body was flown to Delhi from Srinagar after
military honours and brought to city last night. Suri is
survived by wife S Pallavi and mother Girija.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day