Major Suresh Suri killed in J&K gun battle cremated
Hyderabad: The mortal remains of Major
J Suresh Suri, who was killed in a gun battle with militants
in Jammu and Kashmir, were consigned to flames at Bansilalpet
crematorium here on Friday.
Major Suri (30), a native of Hyderabad, was killed in a
fierce gunfighting with militants at Bandipora in north
Kashmir on Wednesday.
Amid slogans of `Bharat Mata Ki Jai` and `Major Suresh
Suri Amar Rahe` a huge procession with Suri`s photo on a
flower-decked Army vehicle carrying his mortal remains in a
coffin draped in tricolour was brought to Bansilalpet
The last rites were performed with full military honours
at about 11.30 am.
Earlier, Andhra Pradesh Home Minister P Sabitha Indra
Reddy and senior Army officials placed wreaths on Suri`s body
and paid tributes at his house in Vani Nagar in Malkajgiri
here this morning.
Scores of locals and Suri`s friends, relatives and family
members also bid a tearful adieu to the departed soul.
The Major`s body was flown to Delhi from Srinagar after
military honours and brought to city last night. Suri is
survived by wife S Pallavi and mother Girija.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?