Major Suresh Suri killed in J&K gun battle cremated
Hyderabad: The mortal remains of Major
J Suresh Suri, who was killed in a gun battle with militants
in Jammu and Kashmir, were consigned to flames at Bansilalpet
crematorium here on Friday.
Major Suri (30), a native of Hyderabad, was killed in a
fierce gunfighting with militants at Bandipora in north
Kashmir on Wednesday.
Amid slogans of `Bharat Mata Ki Jai` and `Major Suresh
Suri Amar Rahe` a huge procession with Suri`s photo on a
flower-decked Army vehicle carrying his mortal remains in a
coffin draped in tricolour was brought to Bansilalpet
The last rites were performed with full military honours
at about 11.30 am.
Earlier, Andhra Pradesh Home Minister P Sabitha Indra
Reddy and senior Army officials placed wreaths on Suri`s body
and paid tributes at his house in Vani Nagar in Malkajgiri
here this morning.
Scores of locals and Suri`s friends, relatives and family
members also bid a tearful adieu to the departed soul.
The Major`s body was flown to Delhi from Srinagar after
military honours and brought to city last night. Suri is
survived by wife S Pallavi and mother Girija.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Beware! Fake currency notes floating in market this Diwali
- Intelligence agencies warn of firing by Pakistan along LoC, international border
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon