`Majority of IPS officers have failed to deliver’
New Delhi: Nagaland Governor and former top
cop Nikhil Kumar said that IPS officers, barring few
individuals, have "failed" to meet the expectation placed
"My friends, please forgive me for saying this, we have
failed the IPS. We have not been able to improve the image of
the IPS and of the police. There may be some individuals in
his own individual capacity, somewhere, doing extremely good
work but the sum of the whole is that we have not been able to
do what was expected of the police," Kumar said, while
delivering the annual founding day lecture of the Bureau of
Police Research and Development (BPRD) on "good governance".
Kumar, a 1963-batch retired Indian Police Service (IPS)
officer, has held top positions in various prestigious forces
like NSG and Delhi Police. He was appointed as the Governor of
Nagaland in 2009.
BPRD is the apex police research organisation under the
Union Home Ministry which undertakes studies and scholarly
works for improvement on a wide variety of policing subjects
from security to health of police officials.
"The fact (is) that the constable doesn`t get his due
either from the government or from the public. How you are
going to get the constable to improve is what I, in my humble
opinion, feel is the key to improve the situation. If that
happens, if the constable is in position to hold his own
against the people of that area, he has self respect, then I
think we will be taking a big step towards improving police
leadership," Kumar said.
Top officers of central police forces and retired IPS
officers listened to Kumar in rapt attention as he, in his
over an hour long speech, spoke on various issues which plague
development and hinder good governance.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users