Make bribing of voters a cognisable offence: EC
New Delhi: The Election Commission has
suggested to the government to make bribing of voters, in cash
or kind, a cognisable offence, Rajya Sabha was informed on Wednesday.
"The Election Commission of India has suggested for
amendment in the First Schedule to the Code of Criminal
Procedure, 1973 to make the offence of bribery under Section
171B/171E of IPC a cognisable offence," Minister of State for
Home Mullappally Ramachandran said.
The minister said as the Criminal Law and Criminal
Procedure are in the List III of the Seventh Schedule to the
Constitution and are administered by the state governments,
the comments/ views of the state governments and Union
Territory administrations have been sought on the proposal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test launches first ever indigenous space shuttle
- PM Modi to meet top Iranian leaders today
- Pakistan denounces US drone strike on Taliban chief Mullah Mansoor
- BJP's Roopa Ganguly attacked by Trinamool workers near Kolkata
- PM Modi in Tehran: India, Iran sign historic pact on Chabahar port