Make bribing of voters a cognisable offence: EC
New Delhi: The Election Commission has
suggested to the government to make bribing of voters, in cash
or kind, a cognisable offence, Rajya Sabha was informed on Wednesday.
"The Election Commission of India has suggested for
amendment in the First Schedule to the Code of Criminal
Procedure, 1973 to make the offence of bribery under Section
171B/171E of IPC a cognisable offence," Minister of State for
Home Mullappally Ramachandran said.
The minister said as the Criminal Law and Criminal
Procedure are in the List III of the Seventh Schedule to the
Constitution and are administered by the state governments,
the comments/ views of the state governments and Union
Territory administrations have been sought on the proposal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jharkhand: 2 dead, several injured in clashes between police, villagers in Ramgarh
- Delhi minister meets Jain monk over Vishal Dadlani tweet controversy
- One killed in annual bull racing in Peru
- 16-year-old Indian-origin boy finds cure for breast cancer treatment
- Heartbreaking! Denied medical help, 12-year-old UP boy dies on dad's shoulder
- 'Indo-US logistic pact is not agreement to set up bases'
- Defiant Rousseff says Brazil's democracy on trial with her
- Small group holding majority to ransom: Manohar Parrikar on Kashmir
- Alphabet executive steps down from Uber board amid growing competition
- Facebook CEO says group will not become a media company