Make bribing of voters a cognisable offence: EC
New Delhi: The Election Commission has
suggested to the government to make bribing of voters, in cash
or kind, a cognisable offence, Rajya Sabha was informed on Wednesday.
"The Election Commission of India has suggested for
amendment in the First Schedule to the Code of Criminal
Procedure, 1973 to make the offence of bribery under Section
171B/171E of IPC a cognisable offence," Minister of State for
Home Mullappally Ramachandran said.
The minister said as the Criminal Law and Criminal
Procedure are in the List III of the Seventh Schedule to the
Constitution and are administered by the state governments,
the comments/ views of the state governments and Union
Territory administrations have been sought on the proposal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city