Make bribing of voters a cognisable offence: EC
New Delhi: The Election Commission has
suggested to the government to make bribing of voters, in cash
or kind, a cognisable offence, Rajya Sabha was informed on Wednesday.
"The Election Commission of India has suggested for
amendment in the First Schedule to the Code of Criminal
Procedure, 1973 to make the offence of bribery under Section
171B/171E of IPC a cognisable offence," Minister of State for
Home Mullappally Ramachandran said.
The minister said as the Criminal Law and Criminal
Procedure are in the List III of the Seventh Schedule to the
Constitution and are administered by the state governments,
the comments/ views of the state governments and Union
Territory administrations have been sought on the proposal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists?
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part II
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part III
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part IV
- Why are schools insensitive over complexities of poor families?
- Second French church attacker formally identified: Prosecutors
- HUGE HONOUR! PM Narendra Modi featured in Obama's DNC introduction video - WATCH
- NASA reveals new information on Sun's magnetic field and its kin!
- Argentine FA hope for Lionel Messi international U-turn
- Sebastian Vettel confident of Ferrari future despite James Allison exit