Make bribing of voters a cognisable offence: EC
New Delhi: The Election Commission has
suggested to the government to make bribing of voters, in cash
or kind, a cognisable offence, Rajya Sabha was informed on Wednesday.
"The Election Commission of India has suggested for
amendment in the First Schedule to the Code of Criminal
Procedure, 1973 to make the offence of bribery under Section
171B/171E of IPC a cognisable offence," Minister of State for
Home Mullappally Ramachandran said.
The minister said as the Criminal Law and Criminal
Procedure are in the List III of the Seventh Schedule to the
Constitution and are administered by the state governments,
the comments/ views of the state governments and Union
Territory administrations have been sought on the proposal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- No more Railway Budget! Niti Aayog panel terms it as 'failed' exercise
- Ileana D'Cruz raises the mercury by donning a scorching monokini! – Pic inside
- One worker killed in explosion at pharma unit in Visakhapatnam
- Kapil Sharma meets fan battling cancer - The comedian's gesture will win your heart
- Rio Games: Russia faces ban from Olympic weightlifting over doping offences