Make CIC constitutional authority: Mishra
New Delhi: Underlining the need for
financial autonomy, Chief Information Commissioner Satyananda
Mishra Friday demanded that the Government make Information
Commissions at the Centre and in the states constitutional
authorities on the lines of the CEC and CAG.
Speaking at the sixth annual convention of the Central
Information Commission, Mishra expressed concern over absence
of office building, financial autonomy and constitutional body
status to transparency panels.
"It was reported the other day that the government might
make Lokpal a Constitutional authority like the Election
Commission. As far as its role and responsibility go, the
Information Commission is no different and requires as much
autonomy from the Government.
"If the Lokpal can be a constitutional authority, the
CIC and SIC has a greater right and justification to be made
into a Constitutional authority," he said.
Mishra asked the Centre to consider financial autonomy
for the Central and State Information Commissions.
"We have no financial autonomy and have to depend on the
government for day-to-day expenditure, however, big or small.
It would strengthen the CIC greatly if the Government would
consider making our budget charged just like the budget of CAG
or the CEC," he said.
Mishra hoped the government would take immediate steps to
provide a building, and as and when the Lokpal is made a
constitutional authority, it make the CIC and the SICs a
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read