Make CIC constitutional authority: Mishra
New Delhi: Underlining the need for
financial autonomy, Chief Information Commissioner Satyananda
Mishra Friday demanded that the Government make Information
Commissions at the Centre and in the states constitutional
authorities on the lines of the CEC and CAG.
Speaking at the sixth annual convention of the Central
Information Commission, Mishra expressed concern over absence
of office building, financial autonomy and constitutional body
status to transparency panels.
"It was reported the other day that the government might
make Lokpal a Constitutional authority like the Election
Commission. As far as its role and responsibility go, the
Information Commission is no different and requires as much
autonomy from the Government.
"If the Lokpal can be a constitutional authority, the
CIC and SIC has a greater right and justification to be made
into a Constitutional authority," he said.
Mishra asked the Centre to consider financial autonomy
for the Central and State Information Commissions.
"We have no financial autonomy and have to depend on the
government for day-to-day expenditure, however, big or small.
It would strengthen the CIC greatly if the Government would
consider making our budget charged just like the budget of CAG
or the CEC," he said.
Mishra hoped the government would take immediate steps to
provide a building, and as and when the Lokpal is made a
constitutional authority, it make the CIC and the SICs a
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'