Make Hyderabad UT and give special category status to Seemandhra: Chiranjeevi
Zee Media Bureau/Tarun Khanna
Hyderabad: The unprecedented act of Tourism Minister Chiranjeevi in Rajya Sabha on Thursday over Telangana Bill was nothing more than an embarrassment for the UPA government which also gave an opportunity to the Opposition which scorned the former.
Stating that the decision to pass Telangana Bill was taken in haste, the Union Minister said that there is always a process, but the process followed to pass the Bill was unfortunate and that it has caused anguish in people. He also said that he is heartbroken and that he was speaking on behalf of Telugu people and not of any one region.
While verbally attacking the BJP in the upper house of the Parliament, Chiranjeevi said that the party had gone back on its promise of Telangana formation in 2004 when NDA was ruling India. However, this drew strong reaction from the Leader of Opposition Arun Jaitley who sought the ruling from the Chair on whether a minister can oppose the Bill which is tabled by his own government.
Jaitley also asked Chiranjeevi to leave the ministry and then speak in against.
Furthermore, Chiranjeevi asked the Centre to consider 11 crore people before bifurcating the state. He also demanded amendment in the Bill and sought for special category status to Seemandhra and to make Hyderabad a Union Territory.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened