Make Hyderabad UT and give special category status to Seemandhra: Chiranjeevi
Zee Media Bureau/Tarun Khanna
Hyderabad: The unprecedented act of Tourism Minister Chiranjeevi in Rajya Sabha on Thursday over Telangana Bill was nothing more than an embarrassment for the UPA government which also gave an opportunity to the Opposition which scorned the former.
Stating that the decision to pass Telangana Bill was taken in haste, the Union Minister said that there is always a process, but the process followed to pass the Bill was unfortunate and that it has caused anguish in people. He also said that he is heartbroken and that he was speaking on behalf of Telugu people and not of any one region.
While verbally attacking the BJP in the upper house of the Parliament, Chiranjeevi said that the party had gone back on its promise of Telangana formation in 2004 when NDA was ruling India. However, this drew strong reaction from the Leader of Opposition Arun Jaitley who sought the ruling from the Chair on whether a minister can oppose the Bill which is tabled by his own government.
Jaitley also asked Chiranjeevi to leave the ministry and then speak in against.
Furthermore, Chiranjeevi asked the Centre to consider 11 crore people before bifurcating the state. He also demanded amendment in the Bill and sought for special category status to Seemandhra and to make Hyderabad a Union Territory.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra addresses people of Haryana
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- I still feel I have a lot more to do and achieve says, Jacqueline Fernandez
- Haryana Minister Anil Vij donates Rs 50 lakh to private games tournament organised by Dera Sacha Sauda, kicks up row
- Sidharth Malhotra felt wonderful doing the US tour! READ
- UP BJP to launch 'new voters registration programme'
- PM Modi hosts Rio medallists PV Sindhu, Sakshi Malik, national sports awardees