`Make keeping money abroad sans permission an offence`
Bangalore: Key Team Anna member N Santosh Hegde has said India should make keeping money abroad without permission an offence to force other countries to share information on illegal wealth stashed abroad.
Welcoming the Budget proposal on tackling the menace of black money, Justice (Retd) Hegde said, "...you got to make having money abroad without permission an offence."
"Then alone the countries, where the money is, are likely to give the information (on Indians who stashed ill-gotten wealth in those nations)".
To tackle the menace of black money, the Budget 2012-13, presented by Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee, has proposed mandatory reporting of assets held by individuals abroad and re-opening of I-T return filings up to 16 years in this regard.
But the former Karnataka Lokayukta insisted that these steps, while being welcome, are no "replacement" for a bill on strong Lokpal, which is necessary and "certainly needed".
The Budget has also proposed slapping a tax of 30 percent on undisclosed money, credits, investments and expenditures, irrespective of the slab of income.
Strengthening its efforts to check black money flow in the system, the Budget has proposed mandatory reporting for every resident having any assets, including financial interest in any entity, overseas. The same would be applicable for those having signing authority in any account located outside India.
Meanwhile, BJP general secretary Anantkumar said the Budget would further fuel price rise even as the ‘aam aadmi’ was reeling under stagerring inflation.
He alleged that the Congress was misleading the nation by announcing grand Food Security Bill even as there was no provision in the budget for it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days