`Make keeping money abroad sans permission an offence`
Bangalore: Key Team Anna member N Santosh Hegde has said India should make keeping money abroad without permission an offence to force other countries to share information on illegal wealth stashed abroad.
Welcoming the Budget proposal on tackling the menace of black money, Justice (Retd) Hegde said, "...you got to make having money abroad without permission an offence."
"Then alone the countries, where the money is, are likely to give the information (on Indians who stashed ill-gotten wealth in those nations)".
To tackle the menace of black money, the Budget 2012-13, presented by Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee, has proposed mandatory reporting of assets held by individuals abroad and re-opening of I-T return filings up to 16 years in this regard.
But the former Karnataka Lokayukta insisted that these steps, while being welcome, are no "replacement" for a bill on strong Lokpal, which is necessary and "certainly needed".
The Budget has also proposed slapping a tax of 30 percent on undisclosed money, credits, investments and expenditures, irrespective of the slab of income.
Strengthening its efforts to check black money flow in the system, the Budget has proposed mandatory reporting for every resident having any assets, including financial interest in any entity, overseas. The same would be applicable for those having signing authority in any account located outside India.
Meanwhile, BJP general secretary Anantkumar said the Budget would further fuel price rise even as the ‘aam aadmi’ was reeling under stagerring inflation.
He alleged that the Congress was misleading the nation by announcing grand Food Security Bill even as there was no provision in the budget for it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @ 12 pm
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- UPSC Results 2014: Meet top three toppers