Make me cash-for-vote scam witness: Kulkarni
New Delhi: Sudheendra Kulkarni, a former aide of Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader L.K. Advani and arrested in the 2008 cash-for-vote scam, Saturday told a Delhi court that he should be made a witness in the case instead of an accused.
"The court should make me a witness in the case, not accused. My only motive was to expose corruption," Kulkarni`s counsel Mahipal Singh told Special Judge Sangita Dhingra Sehgal.
The court, which listened to an hour-long submission, directed Delhi Police to bring before it the CD which has the video of the sting operation carried out by a private TV channel, noting that all the submissions were based on it.
It posted the matter to Oct 3 for further hearing on the bail plea of Kulkarni and two former BJP MPs - Mahavir Singh Bhagora and Faggan Singh Kulaste.
During the arguments, Kulkarni`s counsel questioned the investigation in the case, saying that police are not investigating the actual beneficiaries in the case.
"Why people from UPA-1, who were the alleged beneficiaries, have not been investigated by it?" he contended.
"This investigation is missing out on those who benefitted from this scandal... Who is the main beneficiary? This is a million dollar question for them (prosecution). It was not Rajya Sabha MP Amar Singh`s government which was to be saved," counsel added.
Calling the charge against his client "false and politically motivated", Kulkarni`s lawyer said his role had been that of a whistle blower.
"Along with my associates, three BJP MPs and Suhail Hindustani, I attempted to expose the purchase of MPs for securing victory in the confidence vote that the then government was seeking in Lok Sabha (in July 2008)," counsel said while pressing for Kulkarni`s bail.
Kulaste and Bhagora also sought bail, saying that they were trying to expose horse trading.
"It was only a sting operation to expose the rampant corruption. It was to expose the horse trading going on at the time of the trust vote," their defence counsel said.
Kulkarni, arrested Sep 27 after he repeatedly failed to appear before court Sep 6 and Sep 19 on the ground that he was in the US, was sent to the Tihar Jail.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Jhansi's ammunition factory was target of ISI agents
- Panel discussion on film director Ali Akbar's accusation on Madrasa
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory