Make public details of black money abroad: BJP to govt
New Delhi: Activist-turned-politician Arvind Kejriwal`s allegations about some Indians having accounts in tax havens abroad gave BJP an opportunity to flag the issue of black money again as the party asked the government make public all details of such individuals and entities.
BJP claimed it been raising the issue of black money since the 2009 general elections when its Prime Ministerial candidate L K Advani had demanded that names of all individuals and entities who have stashed Indian money abroad illegally should be made public.
"BJP believes that it is a very serious which the government has to tackle. When Advani had raised it, Congress had mocked and laughed at it. Having won the elections and gauging the mood of the people, the UPA government said in 2009 that it will act on this within 100 days. But nothing has moved since then," party spokesperson Nirmala Sitharaman said.
Striking a sarcastic note, the BJP leader insisted that this was expected from Congress which "fails" to keep its promise.
Recalling the sequence of events, BJP claimed that initially 22 names were revealed by Liechtenstein but the government did not make all the data public.
Sitharaman said the then Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee had announced some measures on the issue in Parliament. This included formation of a committee to look into the matter but till today the government has not shared any details on the progress.
"Government should tell what has been done by the committee. It should also now make public all the 700 names of account holders given to the government by the French government. You cannot pick and choose some names," Sitharaman said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert