Make public details of black money abroad: BJP to govt
New Delhi: Activist-turned-politician Arvind Kejriwal`s allegations about some Indians having accounts in tax havens abroad gave BJP an opportunity to flag the issue of black money again as the party asked the government make public all details of such individuals and entities.
BJP claimed it been raising the issue of black money since the 2009 general elections when its Prime Ministerial candidate L K Advani had demanded that names of all individuals and entities who have stashed Indian money abroad illegally should be made public.
"BJP believes that it is a very serious which the government has to tackle. When Advani had raised it, Congress had mocked and laughed at it. Having won the elections and gauging the mood of the people, the UPA government said in 2009 that it will act on this within 100 days. But nothing has moved since then," party spokesperson Nirmala Sitharaman said.
Striking a sarcastic note, the BJP leader insisted that this was expected from Congress which "fails" to keep its promise.
Recalling the sequence of events, BJP claimed that initially 22 names were revealed by Liechtenstein but the government did not make all the data public.
Sitharaman said the then Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee had announced some measures on the issue in Parliament. This included formation of a committee to look into the matter but till today the government has not shared any details on the progress.
"Government should tell what has been done by the committee. It should also now make public all the 700 names of account holders given to the government by the French government. You cannot pick and choose some names," Sitharaman said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report