Make public paid-news report: CIC to PCI
New Delhi: The Central Information
Commission has directed the Press Council of India to make
public the report of two-member sub-committee on paid news as
part of suo motu disclosure mandated under the RTI Act.
The Press Council of India has constituted two member sub-
committee comprising eminent journalists Paranjoy Guha
Thakurta and K Sreenivas Reddy to probe the phenomenon of paid
news following allegations that publicity material of some
politicians camouflaged as news was being published by some
An RTI applicant had demanded from the Press Council the
copy of report submitted by the sub-committee and
communications exchanged on the issue besides other
The Council first refused to provide information saying
it was seeking legal opinion on disclosing the report and
providing it under the RTI Act. Later, it asked for additional
fee for providing it. The applicant stated that he has not
received any such letter and the report should be published as
proactive disclosure mandated under the law.
The Council did not cite any provisions of the RTI Act
while denying the information which is required as per the
provisions of the transparency law.
"This (suo motu disclosure) appears to be a reasonable
demand and the Commission under its powers under Section
19(8)(a)(iii) directs the PIO to ensure that the report is
placed on the website of the Council before 10 October 2011.
This would be in fulfilment of its obligation under Section
4(1)(b)(xvii) of the RTI Act," Information Commissioner
Shailesh Gandhi held while directing the council to provide it
before September 30.
He said RTI Act is a fundamental right of citizens and
denial of information can "only be on the basis" if it is
exempt under Section 8(1) of the Act.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark