Make Sushilkumar Shinde recall letter on Muslims: BJP
Kolkata: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh should ask Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde to withdraw his letter asking Chief Ministers not to arrest innocent Muslims on terror charges, the BJP said on Tuesday.
"This letter is against the spirit of the Constitution. The Prime Minister should direct him to withdraw the letter," BJP president Rajnath Singh told reporters here.
Shinde has told Chief Ministers to ensure that no innocent Muslim was arrested in the name of fighting terrorism.
Strict action should be taken against police officers making wrongful arrests of any member of a minority community, Shinde wrote.
Rajnath Singh accused the Congress party of adopting a "divide and rule policy".
"Let the courts decide who is guilty and who is not," the BJP president said. "Let the innocence be not determined on the basis of the community or religion of the accused.
"The Congress has historically been responsible for creating communal instability in the country," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'