Make teachings of sages part of school syllabus: Advani
Thiruvananthapuram: Senior BJP leader LK Advani has rued that contributions of sages and seers have been ignored in history teaching in schools on the pretext that anything to do with religion was a taboo in a secular state.
He found fault with the teaching of history in schools entirely focusing on kings and dynasties largely ignoring the contributions of sages and seers to the nation.
"It is indeed unfortunate that in Indian schools, the teaching of history is almost entirely focused on kings, their dynasties, their wars and exploits," he said.
"The remarkable contributions of our sages and seers are generally kept away from the children, and often on the plea that in a secular state anything to do with religion is taboo," he said in his latest blackspot.
The biologist has been penned in the backdrop of his New Year eve visit to Sivagiri Mutt in Kerala, founded by saint-reformer Sree Narayana Guru, to inaugurate the annual pilgrims meet.
Advani patted Kerala Chief Minister Oommen Chandy for assuring that the teachings of the Guru, the 20th century reformer who preached the message of "one caste, one religion and one God for man", would be included in school syllabus."
"In my speech at Sivagiri I urged Union Minister Vyalar Ravi (who was present) to ensure that Kerala`s initiative is emulated by the Centre and other states.
"It would elevate the level of school studies if the teachings and ideals of saints like Swami Dayanand Saraswati, Shri Ramakrishna Paramahansa and Swami Vivekananda are part of the normal curriculum," Advani said.
He said what Kerala had done, and, what should be done by educational institutions all over the country was something that would raise the Spiritual Quotient of countrymen along with Intelligent Quotient (IQ) and Emotional Quotient (EQ).
"While coining this SQ Phrase, I do not have any religion or creed in mind, I am thinking only of the ethical and moral values a student imbibes in his institution," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan