Maken launches scheme to strengthen coastline security
Panaji: A national population register would
be created in Goa to strengthen security along coastlines in
the country in the wake of the 26/11 attacks, Union Minister
of state for Home Ajay Maken said.
"Under this scheme, each local resident in coastal
villages of the country will be given a unique identity number
and an identity card," Maken told a gathering at Siridao
village, 10 kms from here.
"The scheme will initially cover nine maritime states,
four union territories and 3,331 villages," he said, adding
it would later be extended to the entire country.
In Goa, 51 coastal villages were covered under this
scheme and the project would be completed by March 2010.
The minister termed it as a "mammoth and ambitious
project of the Government, the like of which has not been seen
anywhere in the world."
Maken said apart from security aspect, the scheme would
enable citizens to receive other services or deliverables
in an easy and simple manner as the same unique identity
number will be applicable in all cases.
"The government machinery would no longer need to rely on
any other documentary proof such as ration card, consumer
bills and others to identify a person," he said.
Welcoming the scheme, Goa Chief Minister Digamber Kamat
said this is the Centre`s commitment to secure the coastal
areas of the state from the threat of terrorist attacks.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India