Maken launches scheme to strengthen coastline security
Panaji: A national population register would
be created in Goa to strengthen security along coastlines in
the country in the wake of the 26/11 attacks, Union Minister
of state for Home Ajay Maken said.
"Under this scheme, each local resident in coastal
villages of the country will be given a unique identity number
and an identity card," Maken told a gathering at Siridao
village, 10 kms from here.
"The scheme will initially cover nine maritime states,
four union territories and 3,331 villages," he said, adding
it would later be extended to the entire country.
In Goa, 51 coastal villages were covered under this
scheme and the project would be completed by March 2010.
The minister termed it as a "mammoth and ambitious
project of the Government, the like of which has not been seen
anywhere in the world."
Maken said apart from security aspect, the scheme would
enable citizens to receive other services or deliverables
in an easy and simple manner as the same unique identity
number will be applicable in all cases.
"The government machinery would no longer need to rely on
any other documentary proof such as ration card, consumer
bills and others to identify a person," he said.
Welcoming the scheme, Goa Chief Minister Digamber Kamat
said this is the Centre`s commitment to secure the coastal
areas of the state from the threat of terrorist attacks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- Why is religion being made the basis of election campaigns in UP?
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Sony Xperia X gets a price cut of whopping Rs 14,000