`Malabar 2012`: US lines up destroyer, submarine
Washington: Equipped with guided-missile
cruiser, destroyer and submarine, US and Indian naval forces
will participate in the 10-day long annual Malabar exercise in
the Bay of Bengal, the US 7th Fleet announced today.
"The United States and India share common values and
seafaring traditions. Our navies are natural partners, and we
look forward to continuing to strengthen the bonds and
personal relationships between our navies," it said.
A regularly scheduled naval field training exercise that
has grown in scope and complexity over the years, Malabar 2012
is the latest in a continuing series of exercises conducted to
advance multinational maritime relationships and mutual
security issues, the 7th Fleet said in a statement.
Aircraft carrier USS Carl Vinson, the guided-missile
cruiser USS Bunker Hill, the guided-missile destroyer USS
Halsey, a logistics ship, P-3C aircraft and a submarine would
participate in the exercise from the American side, it said.
Noting that the exercise will feature both ashore and at-
sea training, the statement said training will include subject
matter expert and professional exchanges on counter-piracy,
operations, carrier aviation operations, maritime patrol and
reconnaissance operations and anti-submarine warfare
Phase I of the at-sea training will be conducted in the
vicinity of Chennai while Phase II will be conducted in the
Bay of Bengal and west of the Nicobar Islands.
They are designed to advance participating nations`
military-to-military coordination and capacity to plan and
execute tactical operations in a multinational environment.
"The Indian Navy and US 7th Fleet have a common
understanding and knowledge of a shared working environment at
sea. This exercise helps to advance the level of understanding
between our Sailors and we hope to be able to continue this
process over time," the statement said.
Events planned during the at-sea portions include liaison
officer professional exchanges and embarks; communications
exercises; surface action group operations; helicopter
cross-deck evolutions; underway replenishments; gunnery
exercises; visit, board, search and seizure (VBSS); maritime
strike; air defense exercises; encounter exercises;
shore-based surface strikes; and anti-submarine warfare, the
Nimitz-class aircraft carrier USS Carl Vinson had carried
the body of al-Qaeda chief Osama bin Laden before it was
lowered to its final resting place at sea.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Gurmehar Kaur controversy: Twitter turns into battleground after Virender Sehwag trolls Kargil martyr's daughter
- WATCH: Chris Gayle hits Saeed Ajmal with three huge back-to-back sixes in PSL