Malayalam to be granted classical language status
New Delhi: Malayalam will soon be granted the status of a classical language.
The Union Cabinet, at a meeting chaired by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, on Thursday approved classifying Malayalam as a `Classical Language`, Finance Minister P Chidambaram told reporters.
The benefits extended to Classical Languages include, two major annual international awards for scholars of eminence, setting up of a Centre of Excellence for Studies in Classical Languages.
Other benefits include creation of certain number of Professional Chairs for Classical Languages for scholars of eminence in classical Indian languages.
The government has earlier notified Tamil, Telugu and Kannada as classical languages.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH