Malayalam to be granted classical language status
New Delhi: Malayalam will soon be granted the status of a classical language.
The Union Cabinet, at a meeting chaired by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, on Thursday approved classifying Malayalam as a `Classical Language`, Finance Minister P Chidambaram told reporters.
The benefits extended to Classical Languages include, two major annual international awards for scholars of eminence, setting up of a Centre of Excellence for Studies in Classical Languages.
Other benefits include creation of certain number of Professional Chairs for Classical Languages for scholars of eminence in classical Indian languages.
The government has earlier notified Tamil, Telugu and Kannada as classical languages.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Intelligence agencies warn of firing by Pakistan along LoC, international border
- Beware! Fake currency notes floating in market this Diwali
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon