Malayalam to be granted classical language status
New Delhi: Malayalam will soon be granted the status of a classical language.
The Union Cabinet, at a meeting chaired by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, on Thursday approved classifying Malayalam as a `Classical Language`, Finance Minister P Chidambaram told reporters.
The benefits extended to Classical Languages include, two major annual international awards for scholars of eminence, setting up of a Centre of Excellence for Studies in Classical Languages.
Other benefits include creation of certain number of Professional Chairs for Classical Languages for scholars of eminence in classical Indian languages.
The government has earlier notified Tamil, Telugu and Kannada as classical languages.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery