Maldives summons Indian envoy over Nasheed crisis, Khurshid speaks to counterpart
Male: Maldives on Sunday summoned Indian High Commissioner DM Mulay here and lodged a protest after former President Mohamed Nasheed remained holed up at the Indian mission for the fifth day, even as External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid spoke to his counterpart to resolve the crisis.
"He (Mulay) was summoned to the Foreign Ministry and a protest note was handed over to him," Masood Imad, President Mohammed Waheed`s Press Secretary, told a news agency.
Imad said he was not aware of the contents of the protest letter but he "believes" that it was in connection with Nasheed seeking refuge in the High Commission. "Nasheed was absconding the law," he added.
Mulay was summoned on a day when Maldivian President Waheed said he was "dismayed" that his predecessor sought refuge in the Indian High Commission when he was summoned to the court.
Local media reports said this is the first time that a High Commissioner has been summoned by the Maldivian Foreign Ministry.
Khurshid, who was on an official two-day visit to Bangladesh, called up Maldives Foreign Minister Abdul Samad Abdullah from Dhaka, official sources said in Dhaka. It is for the second time in four days that Khurshid spoke to Samad.
"He (Abdullah) explained the concern and the worries about the situation, he understands the position we have had to take. Clearly there is a situation. Both of us are trying our best to find resolution. But it is not just two of us there is also Nahseed," Khurshid told reporters while returning from Bangladesh.
Observing that there was no clarity on the evolving situation in Maldives, he made it clear that India should not become party to the happenings in the island nation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Narendra Modi and Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum