Malegaon blast: Order reserved on Pragya bail plea
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Thursday reserved
its verdict on the bail plea of Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur who
is facing charges under MCOCA for her alleged involvement in
the 2008 Malegaon bomb blast case.
A bench of judges JM Panchal and HL Gokhale reserved
the order after hearing all the parties, including Maharashtra
government which opposed the bail plea.
Senior Advocate Mahesh Jethmalani, appearing for Pragya
Singh Thakur, pleaded with the court to grant her bail as she
had been subjected to harassment, physical torture and verbal
abuses by the Anti-Terrorist Squad (ATS) squad during her
"illegal" custody from October 10, 2008 onwards.
Seven people were killed in a bomb blast on September
29, 2008, at Malegaon, a communally-sensitive textile town in
Nasik district of Maharashtra. The probe into the blast had
brought into focus the alleged involvement of some right-wing
Jethmalani submitted Thakur was entitled to bail as
Maharashtra`s ATS had failed to file the charge sheet against
her within the mandatory 90 days of her arrest on October 23,
Maharashtra government counsel Asha Nair, however, took
the plea that Thakur was arrested on October 23 and produced
before a magistrate as required under the law.
Pragya approached the apex court challenging refusal of
bail by the Bombay high court.
The high court had ordered that Pragya and ten other
accused in the Malegaon bomb blast case will face trial under
MCOCA (Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act) and had
quashed the decision of the special court which had dropped
the charges under the special law.
A special MCOCA court had on July 31 last year ruled that
the Anti Terrorist Squad had wrongly applied MCOCA in the case
against Pragya and ten others.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you