`Malicious campaign` will strengthen my case: Chatwal
Washington: Hitting out at the "malicious
campaign" against him after the government awarded him the
Padma Bhushan, NRI hotelier SS Chatwal said on Monday that this
had only strengthened his resolve to work for strengthening
Denying that he carried any "background and baggage,"
Chatwal said none of his fund raising offers or his personal
financial contributions had ever been turned down.
Chatwal, 63, said if the allegations were true, his fund
raisers and contributions to election campaigns of top
Democratic party leaders had not been accepted over the past
"Certainly that has not been the case," Chatwal told a news agency.
Chairman of Indian American Democratic Committee, Chatwal
said he is "pained" and "personally hurt" at the
Responding to reports that his offer to raise USD 10
million for the Obama Campaign was turned down, he said: "The
matter of the fact is that he (Obama) was all booked up with
events across the country and a time and date could not be
"Such malicious campaign is personally hurting. But, it
only strengthens my resolve to continue to work and redouble
my efforts for deepening of ties between the two greatest
democracies of the world," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- West Indies vs India 2016: Trinidad board launches probe after farcical washout
- Act of revenge! Gurgaon woman kidnapped, gang-raped for complaining against harassers
- John Kerry tells South Sudan leaders to stick to peace deal or face sanctions
- Will Syria gas attacks probe nail the Assad regime?
- SIT's recommendation of banning cash transactions above Rs 3 lakh under consideration: CBDT