Malik visit: Govt conducting foreign policy in ad hoc way, says BJP
New Delhi: BJP on Monday expressed its ire over the government`s silence on controversial comments made by Pakistan Interior Minister Rehman Malik during his India visit and alleged that the UPA government is conducting its foreign policy in an "ad hoc" manner.
"The statements made by Rehman Malik on Indian soil were `unwarranted, irresponsible and provocative`. He compared the Babri Masjid demolition to terrorism and it was worse confounded by his clarification," Deputy Leader of BJP in Rajya Sabha Ravi Shankar Prasad said in a press conference here.
Prasad, who is BJP`s chief spokesman, alleged that the well-established norm of foreign policy- that one does not meddle in the internal affairs of the other country- were violated by Malik during his three-day visit.
Recalling his comments in Rajya Sabha earlier in the day, Prasad maintained that the Babri Masjid demolition case is in court. As for the dispute, the Allahabad High Court has already given a verdict, he said.
"The Indian government should have strongly protested against these comments made by Malik but it did not do so. This is unfortunate," Prasad said.
Referring to Malik`s "wrong" statement that JuD chief Hafiz Saeed was arrested for 26/11 Mumbai attack by Pakistan authorities but released by the courts, BJP sought to know on what basis was India holding talks if the Interior Minister of Pakistan was "misinformed" as charged by Shinde.
"There is rampant ad hocism on the part of India in its conduct of foreign policy," Prasad alleged, adding that different people appear to be speaking in different voices.
"On what basis are the talks on with Pakistan? Is the government serious about getting justice for 26/11?" he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city