Malnourished children to get special diet in 60 priority districts
New Delhi: The government on Thursday announced that a special diet will be provided to malnourished children in all the 60 priority districts under the Sneha Shivir scheme at a cost of Rs 150 crore during the 12th Plan period.
The Sneha Shivir scheme, introduced recently, is a community based approach for the prevention and management of severe malnourished children and women.
At present, children between the age of 0-6 years, pregnant and lactating mothers and severely malnourished children are provided supplementary nutrition under the Integrated Child Development Services (ICDS).
The initiative, which is a part of the entire process of strengthening and reconstructing of the ICDS, were declared by WCD Minister Krishna Tirath at the first meeting of the National Mission Steering Group (NMSG) here.
She further announced an increase in the honorarium of anganwadi workers working in mini-anganwadi centres from the existing Rs 1,500 to Rs 2,250 per month. Currently, there are 1.16 lakh mini-anganwadi centres in the country.
Tirath said angwanwadi workers and supervisors would now be trained and sensitised on Japanese encephalitis/acute encephalitis at an estimated cost of Rs 27.85 crore.
The minister further discussed other issues related to the implementation of the strengthened and restructured ICDS scheme.
The meeting was attended ministers-in-charge of WCD from Himachal Pradesh, Andhra Pradesh, West Bengal, Gujarat and Madhya Pradesh. Chief Secretaries of Uttar Pradesh, Karnataka, Bihar, Rajasthan and Assam were also present.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read