Malviya’s ideas relevant for today`s society: PM
New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh
today said the unimpeachable integrity upheld by freedom
fighters like Madan Mohan Malviya serves as a model for us at
a time when cynicism prevails in the country.
Speaking at a programme here to mark the 150th birth
anniversary of Malviya, Singh said the government has formed a
National Implementation Committee to hold commemorative events
in the coming months to celebrate the occasion.
"Despite the cynicism that prevails today around us, I
believe that in the heart of each one of us there is a
yearning for decency, for goodness and respect for fundamental
human values. These are the same values that we associate with
the founding fathers of our republic," Singh said.
He maintained that Malviya`s era was one where a group of
like minded individuals, "who were men and women of
unimpeachable integrity and intellectual giants in their own
rights", provided moral, intellectual and political leadership
of a rare quality to the country.
"They were widely loved and respected and their
politics was infused with a high degree of idealism, selfless
service and the hope of building a new and modern India
unshackled from colonial subjugation," Singh said.
The ministry of culture is taking several initiatives
to celebrate the 150th birth anniversary of Malviya who
founded the Banaras Hindu University.
Singh said the government had received many constructive
suggestions at the first meeting of the National Committee
headed by him and some of them will be implemented.
"I am particularly glad to learn that special efforts are
being made to translate the biography and literary works of
Malaviyaji in different Indian languages. A series of
countrywide seminars, lectures and exhibitions will be
organised for spreading his message to the people at large,"
A Centre for Malaviya studies will be set up at the
Banaras Hindu University, where a digital collection of
Malaviya`s writings will be compiled for the first time.
The government also plans to establish chairs,
scholarships and education related awards in his memory.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price