Mamata Banerjee for stringent laws against rape
Kolkata: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Saturday called for amending criminal laws to ensure stringent punishment for rape in the wake of the death of the Delhi gang-rape victim.
Expressing deep shock at the death of the 23-year old gang rape victim in Singapore, Banerjee told reporters," There is need for more stringent laws against those who commit such crimes as the provisions of the IPC and CRPC are very old.
"It (crime against women) is a serious problem and I feel criminal laws are old and weak. Though amendment is a central subject, we will provide all cooperation," she said.
"The centre must ensure that the culprits are severely punished. I feel there is a need to amend criminal laws and bring in more stringent punishment for the offence of rape," she said.
"Though women are more vulnerable in rural areas, there is hardly any instance of rape in such places. But in urban areas, rapes and crimes against women have been rising.
"I feel society needs to be more responsible. The awareness level also needs to be increased so that such incidents do not recur," she said.
With IANS inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- JeM planning Pathankot-II with support from Pakistan's ISI, IM, conducting recce of Indian cities: Military intel
- Arijit Singh writes open letter to Salman Khan apologising and requesting him to retain ‘Sultan’ song – Here’s why
- Akshay Kumar with 'Housefull3' gang set to sizzle in saddi Dilli—See selfie!
- Megresults.nic.in & mbose.in HSSLC Results 2016: Meghalaya Board Tura Class 12th Arts exam results 2016 to be announced shortly
- Mbose.in 10th SSLC Results 2016: Megresults.nic.in Meghalaya Board SSLC Class 10th exam results 2016 to be announced shortly