Mamata Banerjee unlikely to meet PM
New Delhi: Trinamool chief Mamata Banerjee, who has teamed up with SP supremo Mulayam Singh Yadav to come up with their own names for the Presidential Poll, is unlikely to meet Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and has deferred plans to go back to Kolkata on Thursday.
Banerjee, who sprang a surprise by proposing Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s name for the President`s post yesterday, was scheduled to take a flight to Kolkata this afternoon but her close aides said she is not leaving the capital today.
Asked about the possibility of Banerjee meeting Singh, Railway Minister Mukul Roy said, "The question does not arise".
Sources said Banerjee will stay put in the capital and may have discussions with some leaders on the issue.
Trinamool sources said the Prime Minister had invited Banerjee for a meeting yesterday but it did not take place as the schedule was not finalised.
The Prime Minister`s invitation to Banerjee came on a day before she met Congress chief Sonia Gandhi.
After the meeting with Gandhi, Banerjee said Congress` choice for the top post is Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee and Vice President Hamid Ansari.
Later, she and Yadav had a meeting during which they came up with the name of the Prime Minister and former President APJ Abdul Kalam and Lok Sabha Speaker Somntah Chatterjee.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...