Mamata demands President`s rule in West Bengal
New Delhi: Taking the battle against the
Left Front government in West Bengal to the Centre, Railway
Minister Mamata Banerjee on Tuesday met Home Minister P
Chidamabaram and demanded imposition of President`s rule to
save democracy in the state.
"The Centre should dismiss the state government and
impose President`s rule as it is necessary to save democracy
there," she told reporters after meeting Chidambaram.
The Trinamool Congress chief said the Centre should
utilise the provisions under Article 355 (to protect a state
against external aggression and internal disturbance)
followed by Article 356 (to dismiss a state government and
impose President`s rule) so as to restore the rule of the law
in West Bengal.
She alleged that CPI(M) cadres were "killing" democracy
with the help of the state machinery.
Banerjee also demanded that the Centre should use army to
recover arms allegedly taken away by "CPI(M) goons" from
the state armoury.
During her meeting with Chidambaram, the West Bengal
leader was accompanied by the family members of abducted West
Bengal constables Shabir Mullah and Kanha Godai, allegedly
abducted by Maoists in July.
"Though it is three months now that these constables have
been kidnapped, the West Bengal police is making no attempt to
trace them. That is why I had to meet the Home Minister to
plead their cases," she said.
Banerjee said Chidambaram assured her all help to trace
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon