`Mamata floating PM`s name for Prez unethical`
New Delhi: Congress on Thursday attacked TMC leader and West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee accusing her of showing lack of courtesy towards the Prime Minister by dragging his name in the Presidential race.
Congress leader and Information and Broadcasting Minister Ambika Soni said party chief Sonia Gandhi was still working towards evolving a consensus over the name of UPA`s Presidential candidate.
"Disclosing three names including that of the Prime Minister of India, I think this is something which does not make any political or ethical sense.... Never ever there has been an instance where a sitting PM`s name is being branded like this.
"It is a constitutional post, he heads the government and the country and one desists from such lack of courtesy... People of our country would wonder why such tactics are being adopted by political parties," she said.
The minister was commenting on Banerjee mentioning three names including that of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh for the Presidential race.
Soni said Sonia Gandhi was continuing discussions on the issue with leaders from the party and alliance partners. "She is going ahead with the consensus she is trying to evolve over a single name."
Asked if the Congress chief would hold another round of consultations with alliance partners, she said, "Consultations are an ongoing process. She has been empowered by the UPA to do this whether it takes two or three rounds or as long as she deems it necessary or important to have a single name with maximum support emerging."
On allegations levelled by Opposition parties that the UPA has `messed up` the Presidential polls, Soni said, "The Opposition does not have anything to say. So, they will keep saying such things."
She said the UPA Chairperson has been holding discussions with the allies and during a meeting with Banerjee on Wednesday, she gave a brief on Congress` discussions with its allies.
"Now Mamata Banerjee along with others takes the name of the Prime Minister in a press conference...This is not acceptable to us.... The Prime Minister and the Congress have said that he is and will remain the Prime Minister," she said.
Soni said the Congress President had discussed the issue with Banerjee as she is an ally and taking her along was "important and necessary".
Asked if the Congress would try to evolve a consensus over one of the two names suggested by the party chief, Soni said, "I cannot say which name will emerge later. It is not possible for me to say as till the time the Congress President herself announces that a particular name has emerged for which the maximum support has emerged."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends