`Mamata floating PM`s name for Prez unethical`
New Delhi: Congress on Thursday attacked TMC leader and West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee accusing her of showing lack of courtesy towards the Prime Minister by dragging his name in the Presidential race.
Congress leader and Information and Broadcasting Minister Ambika Soni said party chief Sonia Gandhi was still working towards evolving a consensus over the name of UPA`s Presidential candidate.
"Disclosing three names including that of the Prime Minister of India, I think this is something which does not make any political or ethical sense.... Never ever there has been an instance where a sitting PM`s name is being branded like this.
"It is a constitutional post, he heads the government and the country and one desists from such lack of courtesy... People of our country would wonder why such tactics are being adopted by political parties," she said.
The minister was commenting on Banerjee mentioning three names including that of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh for the Presidential race.
Soni said Sonia Gandhi was continuing discussions on the issue with leaders from the party and alliance partners. "She is going ahead with the consensus she is trying to evolve over a single name."
Asked if the Congress chief would hold another round of consultations with alliance partners, she said, "Consultations are an ongoing process. She has been empowered by the UPA to do this whether it takes two or three rounds or as long as she deems it necessary or important to have a single name with maximum support emerging."
On allegations levelled by Opposition parties that the UPA has `messed up` the Presidential polls, Soni said, "The Opposition does not have anything to say. So, they will keep saying such things."
She said the UPA Chairperson has been holding discussions with the allies and during a meeting with Banerjee on Wednesday, she gave a brief on Congress` discussions with its allies.
"Now Mamata Banerjee along with others takes the name of the Prime Minister in a press conference...This is not acceptable to us.... The Prime Minister and the Congress have said that he is and will remain the Prime Minister," she said.
Soni said the Congress President had discussed the issue with Banerjee as she is an ally and taking her along was "important and necessary".
Asked if the Congress would try to evolve a consensus over one of the two names suggested by the party chief, Soni said, "I cannot say which name will emerge later. It is not possible for me to say as till the time the Congress President herself announces that a particular name has emerged for which the maximum support has emerged."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark