Mamata keeps distance from Karat at EC function
New Delhi: After keeping away from the
ceremony to pay last respects to Marxist veteran Jyoti Basu,
Trinamool Congress leader Mamata Banerjee today chose to
maintain distance from CPI(M) leader Prakash Karat at an
Election Commission function here.
Banerjee, who was given a seat in the front row reserved
for leaders of various political parties, preferred to sit far
away from Karat despite being alloted a place near him.
At the function to mark EC`s Diamond Jubilee, AIADMK
supremo J Jayalithaa, who generally keeps away from Delhi,
participated and it was one of the rare functions in recent
years in which she and Congress President Sonia Gandhi were
Sports Minister M S Gill, a former Chief Election
Commissioner, was seen interacting with Pakistan High
Commissioner Shahid Malik.
Details of their interaction was not known, but it comes
in the backdrop of the controversy over the participation of
Pakistani players in the IPL.
All former CECs were seated together in a row.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa