Mamata must say if she has tacit understanding with BJP: Congress
New Delhi: Playing the secular card, Congress on Tuesday hit out at Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee asking her whether she has entered into a tacit understanding with BJP for bringing a no-confidence motion against the government on FDI in multi-brand retail issue.
"Why a party with 115 MPs is ready to support a motion being brought by a 19-member party? Whether Mamata has entered into a tacit understandng with BJP is something she should tell secular voters of West Bengal," AICC in-charge for West Bengal Shakeel Ahmed told reporters.
Ahmed also reminded Banerjee that her party had won only one Lok Sabha seat when she had contested the 2004 general elections in alliance with BJP.
"The number of seats her party got rose to 19 in 2009 general elections when she had contested the same in alliance with Congress because secular votes came into her kitty. Banerjee should definitely tell secular voters if she has really entered into some kind of agreement," Ahmed said.
Banerjee, who had sought the support of both BJP and CPI-M for the no-confidence motion, had hit out at both Congress and the Marxist party for floating a "BJP fear psychosis".
"BJP is a political party whose ideology we do not support. Every party has his own ideology. We have our ideology but this is not a religious issue. This is an issue which involves saving the country," she said in Kolkata.
Referring to formation of V P Singh government and Jyoti Basu sharing platform with Atal Behari Vajpayee in 1980s, she slammed CPI-M saying there were numerous instances when CPI-M, which was now raising the BJP bogey, had sided with that party in the formation of a government as also sharing platform
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Radhe Maa dances at casino in London, claims video
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Lalu Prasad Yadav challenges Narendra Modi over 'shaitan' comment, demands PM's apology
- Ghulam Ali concert row: Subramanian Swamy hits back at Shiv Sena's critics