Mamata must say if she has tacit understanding with BJP: Congress
New Delhi: Playing the secular card, Congress on Tuesday hit out at Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee asking her whether she has entered into a tacit understanding with BJP for bringing a no-confidence motion against the government on FDI in multi-brand retail issue.
"Why a party with 115 MPs is ready to support a motion being brought by a 19-member party? Whether Mamata has entered into a tacit understandng with BJP is something she should tell secular voters of West Bengal," AICC in-charge for West Bengal Shakeel Ahmed told reporters.
Ahmed also reminded Banerjee that her party had won only one Lok Sabha seat when she had contested the 2004 general elections in alliance with BJP.
"The number of seats her party got rose to 19 in 2009 general elections when she had contested the same in alliance with Congress because secular votes came into her kitty. Banerjee should definitely tell secular voters if she has really entered into some kind of agreement," Ahmed said.
Banerjee, who had sought the support of both BJP and CPI-M for the no-confidence motion, had hit out at both Congress and the Marxist party for floating a "BJP fear psychosis".
"BJP is a political party whose ideology we do not support. Every party has his own ideology. We have our ideology but this is not a religious issue. This is an issue which involves saving the country," she said in Kolkata.
Referring to formation of V P Singh government and Jyoti Basu sharing platform with Atal Behari Vajpayee in 1980s, she slammed CPI-M saying there were numerous instances when CPI-M, which was now raising the BJP bogey, had sided with that party in the formation of a government as also sharing platform
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part III
- PM Modi should also be suspended from House for 'inviting ISI to Pathankot', says AAP MP Bhagwant Mann
- MASSIVE! Italian giants Juventus complete USD 104 million transfer of Gonzalo Higuain from Napoli
- Odisha govt has "nexus" with Maoists: BJP probe team
- Political blame-game begins as auto, taxi unions go on indefinite strike against app-based taxi services
- NGT seeks details of Rs 20,000 crore expenditure on cleaning Ganga