Mamata questions Centre`s Mar 31 deadline for set-top boxes
Kolkata: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee today expressed strong reservation over the March 31 deadline fixed by the Centre for installation of set-top boxes and said the poor would find it difficult to comply with it.
"Deadline for set-top boxes has been given as March 31. Many poor people will not be able to afford set-top boxes. Moreover it will be implemented in one area and not in others," Banerjee said.
Stating that at a time when the Centre had already burdened the common person with repeated hikes in fuel prices, restrictions on subsidised LPG cylinders and withdrawal of other subsidies, she said, "The Centre cannot force the people of Kolkata to purchase set-top boxes.
"Why is the Centre insisting on introducing set-top boxes? Why are they taking away the people`s rights?" she asked.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list