Mamata questions Centre`s Mar 31 deadline for set-top boxes
Kolkata: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee today expressed strong reservation over the March 31 deadline fixed by the Centre for installation of set-top boxes and said the poor would find it difficult to comply with it.
"Deadline for set-top boxes has been given as March 31. Many poor people will not be able to afford set-top boxes. Moreover it will be implemented in one area and not in others," Banerjee said.
Stating that at a time when the Centre had already burdened the common person with repeated hikes in fuel prices, restrictions on subsidised LPG cylinders and withdrawal of other subsidies, she said, "The Centre cannot force the people of Kolkata to purchase set-top boxes.
"Why is the Centre insisting on introducing set-top boxes? Why are they taking away the people`s rights?" she asked.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trinamool Congress activist was part of Pak ISI spy ring?
- WATCH: Pakistan vs England, 3rd T20: Complete highlights
- SP leader Azam Khan stirs fresh controversy, says RSS leaders are homosexuals
- Priyanka Chopra’s sex scene from ‘Quantico’ goes viral – Watch video
- Shocking! Class 9 student delivers baby in school washroom