Mamata questions Centre`s Mar 31 deadline for set-top boxes
Kolkata: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee today expressed strong reservation over the March 31 deadline fixed by the Centre for installation of set-top boxes and said the poor would find it difficult to comply with it.
"Deadline for set-top boxes has been given as March 31. Many poor people will not be able to afford set-top boxes. Moreover it will be implemented in one area and not in others," Banerjee said.
Stating that at a time when the Centre had already burdened the common person with repeated hikes in fuel prices, restrictions on subsidised LPG cylinders and withdrawal of other subsidies, she said, "The Centre cannot force the people of Kolkata to purchase set-top boxes.
"Why is the Centre insisting on introducing set-top boxes? Why are they taking away the people`s rights?" she asked.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video