Mamata questions UPA`s Centralised Monitoring System
Kolkata: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee Tuesday said the people`s privacy was in jeopardy with the central government developing the Centralised Monitoring System (CMS), an all-encompassing surveillance mechanism.
"The UPA-II government is developing a system called Centralised Monitoring System (CMS) by C-DoT that will enable the government and its agencies unfettered access in realtime to any phone conversation, SMS, fax, website visit and social media usage," Banerjee said on Facebook, quoting a media report about the CMS.
"Experts feel that these capabilities could be as lethal and intrusive as the highly controversial PRISM project. Privacy of our countrymen would soon be at stake at the hands of the UPA," she said.
Stating that the centre has plans to launch the system by March 2014 in 12 states, Banerjee questioned the motive behind it.
"Why is the UPA government developing an autocratic system of surveillance and monitoring to secure interception of telephonic conversation in all forms? Will it be targeted to silence the opposition, politicians and others? Who will authorise or decide on selection of targets?" she said.
"Won`t this intrusion make our constitutional right to freedom of speech and expression under Article 19(1)(a) a mockery," asked the Trinamool Congress chief.
Calling the CMS draconian, Banerjee accused the centre of impropriety without consulting political parties or discussing the CMS in parliament.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Lalu Yadav attacks PM Modi over Mahatma Gandhi's assassination
- Whole world is worried about global warming and climate change, says PM Modi
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Watch: Unbelievable! Kapil Sharma thrown out of Aishwarya Rai’s vanity van
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- ISL 2015: Chennaiyin FC vs Atletico de Kolkata - Preview
- Singh Is Bliing movie review: Watch it for Akshay Kumar!