Mamata questions UPA`s Centralised Monitoring System
Kolkata: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee Tuesday said the people`s privacy was in jeopardy with the central government developing the Centralised Monitoring System (CMS), an all-encompassing surveillance mechanism.
"The UPA-II government is developing a system called Centralised Monitoring System (CMS) by C-DoT that will enable the government and its agencies unfettered access in realtime to any phone conversation, SMS, fax, website visit and social media usage," Banerjee said on Facebook, quoting a media report about the CMS.
"Experts feel that these capabilities could be as lethal and intrusive as the highly controversial PRISM project. Privacy of our countrymen would soon be at stake at the hands of the UPA," she said.
Stating that the centre has plans to launch the system by March 2014 in 12 states, Banerjee questioned the motive behind it.
"Why is the UPA government developing an autocratic system of surveillance and monitoring to secure interception of telephonic conversation in all forms? Will it be targeted to silence the opposition, politicians and others? Who will authorise or decide on selection of targets?" she said.
"Won`t this intrusion make our constitutional right to freedom of speech and expression under Article 19(1)(a) a mockery," asked the Trinamool Congress chief.
Calling the CMS draconian, Banerjee accused the centre of impropriety without consulting political parties or discussing the CMS in parliament.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Five nations pull out of SAARC Summit to express solidarity with India over Uri attack
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof