Mamata resigns, Mukul Roy is junior railway minister
New Delhi: President Pratibha Patil Thursday accepted the resignation of
Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee as railway minister and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh will now look after the portfolio, an official spokesperson said.
Banerjee had submitted her resignation earlier Thursday. She will be sworn in Friday as West Bengal`s first woman chief minister.
The prime minister will be assisted by Trinamool general secretary and Minister of State for Shipping Mukul Roy, who has been entrusted with the additional charge of railways.
"The President has accepted the resignation of Mamata Banerjee as railway minister. The prime minister will look after the portfolio. Mukul Roy gets the additional charge of MOS Railways," a Rashtrapati Bhavan spokesperson said.
The Congress has decided to join the new West Bengal ministry. The Trinamool Congress-Congress alliance had routed the Left in the assembly election results announced May 13, ending 34 years of communist rule in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Trump vows to begin deportations immediately if sworn in
- British PM to trigger EU pull-out `without parliament vote`
- Italy mourns quake victims, death toll rises to 291
- Kriti Sanon can't wait to watch 'MS Dhoni - The Untold Story'
- Indian women's hockey stars humiliated, made to sit on floor of train on way back home from Rio