Mamata resigns, Mukul Roy is junior railway minister
New Delhi: President Pratibha Patil Thursday accepted the resignation of
Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee as railway minister and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh will now look after the portfolio, an official spokesperson said.
Banerjee had submitted her resignation earlier Thursday. She will be sworn in Friday as West Bengal`s first woman chief minister.
The prime minister will be assisted by Trinamool general secretary and Minister of State for Shipping Mukul Roy, who has been entrusted with the additional charge of railways.
"The President has accepted the resignation of Mamata Banerjee as railway minister. The prime minister will look after the portfolio. Mukul Roy gets the additional charge of MOS Railways," a Rashtrapati Bhavan spokesperson said.
The Congress has decided to join the new West Bengal ministry. The Trinamool Congress-Congress alliance had routed the Left in the assembly election results announced May 13, ending 34 years of communist rule in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city