Mamata says bomb blast caused train derailment
Jhargram: Railway Minister Mamata Banerjee on Friday said a "bomb blast" triggered by Maoists on the rail track caused the derailment of the Howrah-Kurla express train and that TNT explosives and Gelatine sticks were found at the accident site.
"It is a bomb blast case. After the blast, the train derailed and the accident happened. According to information given by Railway Police Force and officials TNT and Gelatine sticks were found at the accident," Banerjee told reporters shortly after visiting the spot. At least 65 persons were killed and 200 injured in the derailment early today.
Banerjee, who rushed to spot from Kolkata, said that a patrol engine had passed through the area half-an-hour earlier, but the timing of the blast proved disastrous with a portion of the line being blown away.
Asked specifically if Maoists were responsible, she said that because of the `bomb blast` the apprehension was that they were behind it. "Let the rescue operations be over. After that we will get a report." She however said the timing and the manner in which the attack occured pointed to a Maoist hand.
When asked about Railways running trains in Maoist-affected areas, she replied, "should we stop running trains? Railway is a lifeline. It has been made a soft target. It should not be disturbed. We have restricted the speed of trains running through Maoist areas at 45 kmph.
"It is very unfortunate that so many innocent lives have been lost. We should not play games with innocent lives."
She said that the next of kin of each of the dead would be paid Rs five lakh and injured Rs one lakh. The Railways would also provide employment to a member of families of each of those killed.
Stating that the Railways has already ordered a high-powered probe, she said, "I will write a letter to the Union Home minister for a separate investigation."
The Railways was running trains in coordination with the state administration. "Law and order is a state subject.
State government and Home Ministry should look into it.
Four medical teams were at the spot and rescue
operations by the Railways and Army was in full swing, she
She claimed that personnel from all railway
departments had reached the accident immediately afterwards.
"I left at 2:00 am after being informed," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues