Mamata ‘shocked and astonished’ by SFI attack
Kolkata: A day after she was gheraoed and her minister Amit Mitra manhandled by Left protesters in New Delhi, West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Wednesday said she was "shocked and astonished" at the "unprecedented" incident.
"Politics has become so dirty and nasty. I have spent about 25 years in Delhi since my election as Member of Parliament in 1984. What I saw yesterday is totally unprecedented and I have no words to express my condemnation of this incident," she said in a Facebook post.
"I am really shocked and astonished to see the incident... in front of Planning Commission, a constitutional body which had invited us for finalisation of Annual Plan size for Bengal," Banerjee said.
The Chief Minister, however, thanked media and common people for showing concern about them.
Banerjee and Mitra had gone to Planning Commission office in New Delhi to discuss the state`s annual plans yesterday, where they were gheraoed and heckled by SFI activists protesting against the death of one of their colleagues in police custody here last week.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets