Mamata should evolve from street-fighter to statesman: Cong
New Delhi: Under fresh attack from Mamata Banerjee on FDI in multi-brand retail, Congress on Monday advised her to "evolve from a street fighter to a statesman" pointing to `divergence` in Trinamool Congress` stand.
"There comes a time in the life of every political party and politician when you have to evolve from an agitator to an administrator...From a street fighter to a statesman. These are personal decisions and a matter of self introspection. We want to leave to her only this very small suggestion,” party spokesperson Manish Tewari told reporters here.
Tewari caveated his response by saying Congress has "great personal regard" for the West Bengal Chief Minister and the political struggle she had waged.
The Congress spokesperson was reacting to a volley of questions on Banerjee`s agitation against FDI in retail and price rise in the national capital during which she also indicated that her party may bring a `no- confidence motion` against it in the next session of parliament.
She also appealed to various political parties to support it. At a protest rally at Jantar Mantar here, which was attended by NDA convenor Sharad Yadav, Banerjee launched an all-out attack on the Congress-led UPA government.
The Congress spokesperson, however, made light of her opposition to FDI and the hike in diesel prices alleging the West Bengal Chief Minister makes one statement in Delhi and says something else in Kolkata.
"She (Banerjee)is opposing FDI and diesel hike in New Delhi but in West Bengal it is her government which had increased the power tariff," Tewari said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Five simple tips to eat healthy!