Mamata terms Left drubbing as victory for democracy and peace
Kolkata: Upbeat over the Trinamool Congress`s spectacular showing in the Assembly by-elections which saw the CPI(M)-led Left Front losing in nine out of the ten seats it contested, party supremo Mamata Banerjee on Tuesday said the results indicated victory for democracy and peace.
"It is a victory for democracy and peace. It is also a victory of Ma, Mati, Manush," Banerjee told reporters, referring to the slogan she coined in her crusade for ouster of the Left Front.
The Trinamool Congress won all the seven seats it contested and ally, Congress, one.
The saving grace for the CPI(M), which failed to get a single seat, was ally Forward Bloc`s wresting of Goalpokhar seat from the Congress. An Independent won the remaining one seat.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India