Mamata to hold talks with Sonia on govt formation
New Delhi: Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee will hold discussions with Congress president Sonia Gandhi on Monday on government formation in West Bengal, where she will take charge as chief minister.
Banerjee, who along with Union Finance Minister Pranab
Mukherjee arrived here from Kolkata late Sunday night, will also
meet Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
Issues of government formation in West Bengal and
Banerjee`s successor in the Railway Ministry are expected to
be discussed by the leaders.
The TMC wants ally Congress to join the government in
Banerjee had invited Congress to join the new
government to be headed by her in West Bengal but Mukherjee
said, "We will take a final decision after discussions with
the Congress high command. The decision will be disclosed at
the appropriate time."
The Trinamool Congress last night formally staked claim
to form the next government in West Bengal shortly after
Banerjee was unanimously elected Leader of the Trinamool
Congress Legislature Party (TCLP).
Banerjee will invite the Prime Minister and the
Congress president to the swearing-in ceremony, the date of
which has not been announced yet. Reports however said the swearing-in
might take place on May 20.
Congress has already given a letter of support to the
The Trinamool Congress stormed to power in alliance
with the Congress and SUCI on Friday with three-fourths
majority, ending 34 years of Left Front rule in West Bengal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe