Mamata to quit as Railway Minister tomorrow
New Delhi: Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee would resign as Railway Minister on Thursday, a day ahead of being sworn in as West Bengal Chief Minister.
After her talks with UPA Chairperson Sonia Gandhi and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh here on Monday, Banerjee had made it clear that the Railway Ministry would be retained by the Trinamool Congress.
"There are so many rail projects going on in West Bengal. So we would like to keep the Ministry with us," she had said after these meetings.
Banerjee, who assumed charge of the Railway Ministry in Kolkata in 2009, would also put in her papers from the eastern metropolis.
Though Banerjee has maintained that the Prime Minister would take a decision on her successor in the crucial Ministry, speculation is rife that Mukul Roy, party general secretary and Minister of State for Shipping, is the front- runner for taking over the reins of the Railway Ministry from her.
Significantly, Roy had accompanied the Trinamool chief at her meetings with Gandhi and Singh.
Besides Roy, the name of Dinesh Trivedi, Minister of State for Health and Family Welfare, is also doing the rounds for the job.
The new Railway Minister would face the daunting task of meeting the loading target of 993 million tonnes in the fiscal besides laying 1300 km new lines.
"The bidding documents for the proposed diesel locomotive factory in Marhora and electric locomotive factory in Madhepura are to be finalised on a priority basis as these PPP projects are crucial for the growth of railways," said a
senior Ministry official.
The loan agreement with the World Bank for the Eastern Corridor of the ambitious Dedicated Freight Corridor project is yet to be finalised. "The loan agreement has to be expedited to complete the project on schedule," said the official.
Since Chairman Railway Board Vivek Sahai, who is also holding the additional post of Member Traffic, is retiring next month, these two important posts also need to be filled up in an expeditious manner.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) TNBSE Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 declared
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?