Mamata to reply on Rail Budget, Maoist remarks today
New Delhi: Setting the stage for fireworks in Parliament on Thursday, Trinamool Congress (TMC) chief Mamata Banerjee is expected to reply on the Rail Budget and her controversial remarks on Maoists.
The Opposition has demanded the Union Railway Minister to explain stand on her open support to the home-grown rebels, which is affecting the government’s offensive against the Maoists.
The opposition is likely to disrupt proceedings and demand answers from Mamata on the statements she made during her Lalgarh rally.
Unfazed by criticism, Mamata Banerjee yesterday stuck to her stand that the killing of a top Maoist leader Azad was wrong and welcomed Maoist leader Kishenji`s ceasefire offer saying, all problems should be solved through dialogue.
Speaking to reporters before leaving for Delhi to attend the ongoing Parliament session, Mamata said her remarks on Maoist leader Azad’s death were her own and her party’s, and not of the government.
The Trinamool Congress chief’s remarks came a day after Maoists made a conditional ceasefire offer to the Centre and named Mamata as their choice for the mediator.
Mamata Wednesday said she has seen the media reports about the offer but will have to cross-check and verify them before making her stand clear.
She reiterated her desire for a negotiated solution to the Maoist problem in the country, while saying the political parties should support people’s struggle where genuine.
She however refused to directly react to Maoists’ ceasefire offer, saying it was for the government at the Centre to decide on how to go about Maoists’ offer.
The Railway Minister’s remarks came shortly after the Left alleged a nexus between the TMC and Maoists, referring to Koteshwar Rao’s (Kishenji) comments that Mamata be made a mediator in talks between the government and the Maoists.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?