Mamata to take decision with Kalam out of race
Kolkata: With APJ Abdul Kalam opting out of the Presidential race on Monday, Trinamool Congress supremo Mamata Banerjee, who proposed his name, would take a decision on it.
"We have just heard that Kalam is out of the race. Mamata Banerjee will take a decision. What the decision will be will be conveyed to the media," Trinamool Congress Rajya Sabha member Kunal Ghosh said today.
"Mamata Banerjee and Trinamool Congress have done their duty by proposing his name for the presidential election as the ablest candidate for the highest post," he said.
Evading a reply whether Trinamool Congress would now support former Lok Sabha Speaker PA Sangma, the Trinamool Congress MP said "whatever decision the party chief will take will be conveyed to you.
"It is not on TMC alone but other parties also. Let them decide whom they will support," he added.
Commenting on Congress general secretary Digvijay Singh`s remarks against the Trinamool Congress chief for which he was later snubbed by the AICC, Ghosh said "we do not want to topple the UPA or leave the UPA."
He said "if the top leadership of the Congress feels that we are unwanted and it is officially communicated to us, then Mamata Banerjee may consider the issue."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- Two Indians freed from ISIS captivity in Libya to head home, fate of other two unknown