Mamata upset over Budget being branded as `Bengal-centric`
New Delhi: Dismissing suggestions that the
Rail Budget was West Bengal-centric, Railway Minister Mamata
Banerjee on Wednesday said those raising the issue are "humiliating"
the state and advised journalists not to ask "politically
"Do not humiliate (West) Bengal" by parroting it,"
Banerjee said on being asked whether special attention has
been given in the Budget for her home state with an eye on
Assembly elections next year.
"Your question is totally politically manipulative," she
said in an outburst during her post-Budget media briefing.
Banerjee, who was repeatedly interrupted by MPs in the
Lok Sabha during her speech, said she cannot "satisfy 800
people (MPs)... I have given wagon industry to Orissa, Andhra
The maximum number of projects have been given to other
states, she said.
However, Banerjee said that West Bengal "cannot be left
out from the development" and she has to take up the cause of
the state like other ministers do for their home states.
"Do you think Bengal should be left out from the
development?" she asked.
The major announcements relating to West Bengal are in
regard to expansion of Kolkata Metro Network, port
connectivity, proposed introduction of `Sanskriti Express` to
mark 150th birth anniversary of Rabindranath Tagore as also
`Bharat Tirath` trains. More superfast non-stop `Duronto`
trains would be introduced from the state.
Besides, West Bengal figures prominently in other plans
like new lines and doublings of tracks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble