Mamata wants national holiday to celebrate WC win
Kolkata: Railway Minister Mamata Banerjee on Saturday congratulated the Indian team for their brilliant World Cup win and appealed to the Central government to declare Monday a national holiday to celebrate country`s biggest cricketing win.
"Our leader Mamata Banerjee has appealed to the union government through Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee to declare Monday as a national holiday so that whole of India can celebrate this win," Trinamool Congress leader and Union Minister of State for Shipping Mukul Ray said.
"She has also congratulated the Team India for their brilliant win," said Ray.
India defeated Sri Lanka by six wickets at Mumbai`s Wankade stadium to win the cricket World Cup for the second time in 28 years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das