Man, 3 women arrested for trying to sell infant
New Delhi: He wanted to get rid of his child
born out of wedlock and approached a mid-wife to sell the
infant for Rs 1 lakh.
The man Neeraj from West Bengal and three women were
arrested for their involvement in selling the four-month-old
baby in Delhi, police said Thursday.
The woman have been identified as Chandra Devi, Heera
Devi and Pooja Devi.
Acting on a tip-off that Chandra was searching for a
prospective buyer for the infant, police contacted her through
a decoy customer.
She asked for Rs 1 lakh and the decoy customer paid an
advance of Rs 10,000. Chandra along with the man and two other
women were later arrested.
During interrogation, they told police that Neeraj is the
biological father of the baby and the women were selling the
child on the instance of him on commission basis. The women
told police that they had charged Rs 25,000 commission each
for selling the infant.
Police said Neeraj had come in contact with a girl
through Heera and started living with her in Dakshin Puri in a
"The girl gave birth to the child in Safdarjung Hospital,
Delhi on October 5, 2011. Neeraj wanted to split from the girl
and get rid of the baby child, so he decided to sell the
infant," a police official said.
Neeraj approached Heera who contacted Chandra, a mid-
wife by profession.
The child has been rescued and Child Welfare Committee in
Lajpat Nagar has asked NGO Upvan in Safdarjang Enclave to
provide shelter and protection to the baby.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH